Inspiring the community of fashion:

Boo Radley and fashion club host Thrift Shop

Used with permission from Nyla Shahanavaz

Multiple students look through the donated Thrift Shop clothes in the forum. Many enjoyed browsing and buying clothes, earning Boo Radley and fashion club $200 for fundraising.

Anushka Goel

Multiple events are going on at WHHS all the time, such as movie nights, raffles and camping trips, but one that greatly improved the fashion culture in the community was the Thrift Shop, held by Boo Radley and the fashion club.

Throughout the Thrift Shop, a variety of clothes were examined and purchased. The forum teemed with students eager to look through the abundance of donated clothes.
(Used with permission from Nyla Shahanavaz)

The Thrift Shop was held in the forum after school from 3-3:45 p.m. on Sept. 28, Sept. 29 and Oct. 3. 

The clothes that were sold were donated by WHHS students. According to SENIOR Kate Stiens, a member in the fashion club, these clothes were sold at a fair price..

“We had to separate the clothes into pants, shorts, long sleeves [and] short sleeves, because that is how we priced everything, which I think was an effective way to price [clothes],” Steins said. “Pants were $4, dresses and sweatshirts were $5 and shirts were $2.”

Boo Radley and the fashion club collaborated on this project because, although it was the Boo Radley club’s idea, it was prominently a fashion-related fundraiser.

“Collabing with another club, too, brought in a lot more people,”  Steins said.

The purpose of the fundraiser was to raise money for the school, improve the fashion culture and benefit the environment by donating old clothes so they can be used by others. 

This Thrift Shop was advertised to students through flyers and morning announcements. The sale was held in the forum.

Due to a large amount of donations, the clubs decided to extend the shop until Oct. 3.

“After the two days of doing the shopping, we had eight bags left, so we think we’re going to do a flash sale on Monday and everything is going to be a dollar, and then after that, we’re going to donate it all,” Steins said.

A minor challenge with the fundraiser was finding time to organize the clothes, but the main obstacle was hoping people wouldn’t steal the clothes. 

“We were watching people and trying to make sure people didn’t steal clothes, but there was not really a foolproof way of doing that,” Steins said.

The Thrift Shop was a highly successful event for both the clubs and WHHS students.

“It definitely brought in a lot of money [around $200] for fundraising, and it seemed like a lot of people enjoyed it. People who came the first day came back and we had new people the second day,” Steins said.