Julia Berman wins UC scholarship

Photo Courtesy of: Julia Berman

In the program’s first year, Berman was one of the 10 CPS students selected and surprised with the scholarship. To qualify, students must be in the top 10% of their class and must complete an interest form along with an interview.

SENIOR Julia Berman is working hard to make a change in her community and was recently recognized with the Marian Spencer Scholarship. Named after local civil rights activist Marian Spencer, the scholarship includes full tuition to the University of Cincinnati, along with room and board, a service trip to Tanzania and other specialized learning opportunities. Spencer, a UC Class of ‘42 graduate, fought for the desegregation of CPS schools and equity in education. 

Nearly 80 years later, Berman is following Spencer’s path to continue making similar contributions. Berman currently serves as the secretary for STUCO 2022, participates in HOSA Medical Club, is the student representative for the Local School Decision Making Committee (LSDMC) and plays varsity volleyball. 

“With the LSDMC, I was involved with creating an anti-racism committee, which is a partnership between the administration, the alumni and students… and I was involved in recruiting students,” Berman said. 

Outside of the WHHS community, Berman has furthered her involvement through an internship with the nonprofit “Leadership Initiatives,” and is working to create a community workshop addressing public health in Nigeria. The project aims to connect high-achieving students with medical professionals globally, similar to the goals of the Marian Spencer Scholarship. 

“A big part [of my internship] is about how to create public health projects… and especially public health ethics, which is really important when you’re doing work like this in low-income countries,” Berman said. 

Berman noted that participating in these roles and engaging in this service-learning has also helped guide her hopes for her career in the future. 

“I really want to focus on [public health and medicine] for a career path because I feel like it’s really meaningful,” Berman said. “If I choose to go to UC, the Marian Spencer program will help me to pursue that.” 

While Berman has yet to commit to a college, she is excited by the opportunities that await her at UC. 

“I’m really looking forward to networking and being connected with [prominent] figures in the university through the scholarship,” Berman said.

Berman offered this advice to other students looking to make a similar impact on their communities, highlighting the importance of dedication.

“It’s really your extracurriculars that make you stand out. It’s important to really be involved, and to find your passion,” Berman said. 

Berman also reflected on the spirit of Spencer following winning the scholarship. 

“[Marian Spencer] pursued her goals, no matter what anyone else told her, and I think that’s really inspiring. I like to think that I try to be like that in my daily life as well,” Berman said.