Awesome Alumni: Kenneth Parker, class of 1990

Photo Courtesy of: U.S Attorney’s Office

WHHS graduate, Kenneth Parker serves as U.S. attorney for the Southern District of Ohio.

As a seventh-grader, Kenneth Parker walked the halls of WHHS for the first time. Like many, Parker struggled with the notorious Latin requirement early on, never suspecting that he would go on to love the language. By his sophomore year, Parker knew exactly what he wanted to spend the rest of his life doing. 

Although serving as United States Attorney has nothing to do with Latin, his years at WHHS taught Parker skills he uses at work every day. He believes it is the foundation for other languages and most importantly, teaches you the skills you need to succeed in other courses and in life. 

“Walnut Hills taught me that you need to apply yourself and work hard. It taught me to be focused… it taught me not to be afraid of things that at first I don’t understand.” Parker said. 

In his role as an attorney, Parker supervises both the criminal and civil divisions in office. He is currently in charge of supervising suspended Cincinnati City Councilmembers P.G. Sittenfeld and Jeff Pastor, both on separate public corruption cases. 

On a national level, Parker is managing the cases of former Ohio House speaker Larry Householder and former Ohio Republican Party chairman Matt Borges. Both plead not guilty when accused of accepting a multimillion-dollar bribe to help pass controversial energy legislation. 

While Parker is not able to speak on pending cases, he is honored to serve as a federal prosecutor.

“I can say that our office, as far as casework, we will go wherever the evidence takes us to look into matters, or potential allegations or alleged violations,” Parker said.

Parker’s days typically begin early in the morning and consist of meetings with people from his office as well as with law enforcement officers from the FBI, Secret Service, Drug Enforcement Administration, Homeland Security, Marshal Service and many more. The main goal of these meetings is to best serve the public by prioritizing issues including national security, child exploitation, gun laws, environmental work, cybercrime and civil rights. 

“You’re serving the people, the residents of Ohio, but ultimately, you’re serving the residents of the nation,” Parker said. “It’s a great feeling to know that every day you’re seeking to find justice to ensure that victims are taken care of, that you are working to protect the public, the community.” 

Parker finds being able to help real victims in the community and achieving a sense of justice to be the most rewarding aspect of his position. WHHS played a significant role in helping him learn the attitude to build relationships and gave him the determination to excel beyond expectations. 

WHHS taught Parker the basis of what he needed academically as well, “I would love to say I was academically incredible, but I wasn’t. I was probably your average student. I say this for all students to know.”

Parker was just like many students who attend WHHS today. He was a student-athlete, playing football since sophomore year and participated in Youth and City Government. He thinks that even the average WHHS student is a top student at other high schools, as it provides a foundation for everyone. 

After graduating with the Class of ‘90, Parker attended Tuskegee University and graduated from the Indiana University School of Law.

“Walnut Hills was just the best school I could have gone to when I was younger,” Parker said. “It was the pride and joy of my youth… it will always have a special place in my heart because it’s in my DNA. I am a graduate of Walnut Hills High School.”