Alternative exercise: a new outlet for WHHS students

Gimbert+demonstrates+the+pose+%E2%80%9Cseahorse%E2%80%9D%2C+an+intermediate+skill+that+requires+an+inversion.+%E2%80%9CSeahorse+can+be+combined+with+a+bunch+of+other+poses%E2%80%A6+and+you+can+get+into+that+pose+quite+high+off+of+the+ground%2C%E2%80%9D+Gimbert+said.+

Sarah Wilson

Gimbert demonstrates the pose “seahorse”, an intermediate skill that requires an inversion. “Seahorse can be combined with a bunch of other poses… and you can get into that pose quite high off of the ground,” Gimbert said.

WHHS students are soaring to new heights with alternative exercise. Leslie Gimbert, ‘25, Charlotte Hendrickson, ‘25 and Nora Zink, ‘25 are exploring aerial yoga as a different way to exercise during the off-season of their respective sports. 

Gimbert, Hendrickson and Zink all attend classes at Hello Sunshine Yoga, located in Pleasant Ridge. The studio hosts a variety of different exercise classes including traditional yoga as well as barre fitness, but its unique appeal comes from its aerial offerings. Hello Sunshine offers “Restorative Aerial Yoga” and “Aerial Fit and Flow” classes among others, and also runs four-week workshops for both kids and teens.

“The workshop [I attend] is structured for teens… it’s intended to help build self-confidence, learn new skills, and overall, have fun,” Gimbert said. “[I got started] when I had some free time… and I wanted to stay active, but in a fun way [during my offseason].” 

Without any prior knowledge, Gimbert, Hendrickson and Zink entered their first class and quickly learned the differences between typical yoga and aerial yoga, which incorporates a silk hammock. Hung from the ceiling, the base of the hammock often rests between two and three feet from the floor, allowing students to sit, stand and climb within the silk. 

“It’s not necessarily focused on breathing exercise or restful poses… it’s much more active. It’s kind of the antithesis of the typical conceptions about yoga,” Gimbert said. 

After learning several ways to manipulate the fabric from the ground, the three quickly began to reach higher. First focusing on learning hand grips and how to safely enter the hammock, they soon started to practice inversions, often the basis of many aerial yoga stunts. 

“There were a few basics, especially getting used to the silk and figuring out how tall it had to be… and after that, there were a few foundational tricks that [we] had to learn in order to get into the more advanced acrobatic [tricks],” Zink said. 

Within their first two classes, the three had already learned a variety of different poses and tricks, along with a few basic drops, skills that involve flipping within the hammock using a series of different wraps in order to safely support the participant’s body. 

“I particularly enjoy the drops,” Gimbert said. “Initially, it’s a little uncomfortable; it can almost feel like you’re freefalling… but you just have to learn to trust the silk.” 

For those more hesitant, Gimbert emphasized the supportive environment at the studio and the instructor’s care at walking students through various tricks. 

“If you are struggling to get into a pose, or just need a little help… [the instructor] will spot you if you’re uncomfortable… so she’s very helpful [throughout the process],” Gimbert said.

Hendrickson also noted the instructor’s personal attention and how it has contributed to her experience. 

“She’s really concerned about everyone… she will check to make sure you’re completely safe [before attempting a move],” Hendrickson said.

Along with the excitement of learning new skills, aerial yoga also provides distinct physical benefits, including improved flexibility, mobility and balance, as well as increased full-body strength by using the silk as an exercise prop.  

“You use [a lot] of different muscles that you never normally use,” Zink said. “I get injured a lot in soccer, and I feel like aerial yoga has helped me to stretch muscles that I wouldn’t normally [be able to].”

All three students find aerial yoga a simple but effective way to relax from the pressure of school, clubs and even other athletic commitments, attending the class once each week. 

“It’s pretty easy to learn, and if you like it, you can go a long way with it and [advance],” Hendrickson said.

The three also agreed that aerial yoga will have lasting benefits for them when they return to their sports seasons. 

“It’s really helped me to de-stress, and I think it has been a good way to maintain [my level] of fitness during my offseason,” Gimbert said. “It’s a very welcoming and inclusive environment, so even if you haven’t participated in a sport [before], you can still learn and excel in aerial yoga.” 

If you are interested in taking a class, view Hello Sunshine’s website to learn more.