The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

Polls

What concerts are you planning to go to?

• Taylor Swift (93%, 14 Votes)
  • Drake (7%, 1 Votes)
  • Morgan Wallen (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Young the Giant (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ella Mai (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 15

Loading ... Loading ...

Sports in society

Lael Ingram
Lizzy Rebber, ‘24, taking lots of CCP classes, doesn’t usually affect her workload playing tennis. “It [Tennis] gives me a solid schedule in a team and community, its very supportive because we all have the same end goal as people and teammates.” Rebber said.

Student athletes have to balance the workload of being a student, and being at one of the states’s top schools, all while juggling the rigorous duties of being an athlete. Social differences, diversity and homework are all difficulties that each student-athlete faces. 

“I don’t think that different backgrounds and social differences make a difference on the team because we’re all going for the same thing,” Gigi Moore, ‘25, said. “We all have the same end goal, so I don’t think anyone is excluded.” 

While players may not be excluded, it can be difficult for them to find a group of friends.

“I’ve noticed that the cross country team isn’t very diverse, so that could be a little hard getting to know people, but once you find a crowd, you’re good,” Selome Degaulle, ‘25, a member of the cross country team, said. 

The dual roles of a student-athlete can be challenging to balance, however, the student part of that phrase is the most important. Without satisfactory grades, students will not be given the opportunity to compete.

“It’s definitely harder being a student-athlete,” Moore said. “I have to come home and then do my work and go to practice so I definitely have a lot less time to do schoolwork. I’d say during the off-season, it’s way easier than when the season begins.” 

While many student-athletes believe that sports add pressure to their everyday lives, English teacher Francesca Rayburn, has found that sports actually help some students to stay focused as they are given more structure and guidelines to follow during sports seasons. 

“In my experience, it seems like sports kind of helped give them motivation. I have had students do better turning in homework during their sports season,” Rayburn said. “[Once the] season ends, they quit turning in homework, because study tables in between school and when practice starts is gone and thats when it would get done. And then when the season was over, they just go home and watch TV because there wasn’t that established time.” 

Rayburn’s opinion is not unpopular as many student-athletes agree with this statement. They think that sports can be used to add routine to everyday life. 

“It’s given me something to look forward to and motivates me to do well in a classroom setting and on the court,” Addy Sundar, ‘26, said. 

After-school activities like practices tend to add more stress for some students but for others, it’s another reminder to get on track and plan their day out in advance.

“I definitely get more organized because you can’t forget anything at home or else you can’t go to practice that day and then that can affect your performance. So [sports] definitely keeps me more structured,”  Degaulle said.

$3850
$4500