The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

Polls

What concerts are you planning to go to?

• Taylor Swift (93%, 14 Votes)
  • Drake (7%, 1 Votes)
  • Morgan Wallen (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Young the Giant (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ella Mai (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 15

Loading ... Loading ...

Can’t chant?

Lizzy Rebber
Liam Garth, ‘24, leads the Nuthouse in a chant in the first football game of the season against Withrow.

Although the football team struggled this season, the student section, known as the Nuthouse, had persistently showed up to games to show their encouragement for the team. However, there were multiple times throughout the season when they may have gone too far. 

For example, certain chants were banned from the homecoming football game against Turpin. This was sparked by a suicide at Turpin. “For the Turpin game we could only do pro Walnut chants. The administrators thought it was best that we didn’t put any further emphasis on the tragedy that happened,” Nuthouse leader, Tag Berghausen, ‘24, said. 

The Nuthouse was also removed from a girls’ volleyball game prior to this for allegedly targeting a player on the opposing team. To avoid another incident like this, Principal John Chambers banned all chants targeting the opposing team for the homecoming game. 

There are always security guards and staff members present at the games, but there is only so much they can do. The Nuthouse leaders are not only responsible for hyping up the crowd, but also for keeping them in check. 

“It’s our job to try to help prevent anyone from being out of line,” Berghausen said. 

This job is not an easy one, but very important. During the girls’ volleyball game vs Loveland, a Loveland player complained to her coaches about the chants being yelled at her. After being asked to stop, the chants continued. Then, WHHS head coach, Carly Eades, asked the students to move. The Nuthouse leaders took it upon themselves to leave the game and not cause any more harm to the opposing team. 

“One of their players claimed we were saying some pretty bad stuff. She brought it up to her coach and lied about what we were saying,” Berghausen said. “After that we had enough and ultimately decided to leave.”

Although the students handled the situation, this still raised doubt within the administration. With the homecoming game approaching, WHHS staff members wanted to make it clear that there would be zero tolerance for anything directed towards Turpin. 

“Mr. Chaney and Ms. Nolan confronted us in the hallway and we discussed it for a good amount of time. I think out of respect for Turpin it was the right decision,” Berghausen said. 

$4500
$4500