Scouring the sources: AP students head to Xavier

Marwa Khzir
Students participate in a research workshop within the learning commons at Xavier University

You don’t have to go far to find knowledge. Students in AP Research made the short commute to the Xavier University Library. Using the multitude of resources there, field trip participants enhanced their studies. 

AP Research is a newer class, being only seven years old. Because of this, it’s unclear to many people what AP Research is all about. 

“AP Research is the second part of the AP Capstone Program; the first one’s AP seminar. Essentially, you focus the entire year on one research study.” Karl Alan, ‘25, field trip participant, said, “You have to make a five-thousand-word essay, and then there’s a twenty-minute presentation that you give. You make your own topic, you do all your own research, it’s really student-led.”

To meet the class curriculum, students must do an exceptional amount of research into proper data. The resources of the Xavier University Library computers open many doors for students searching for sources. Students also learned about the college honors program

“The main objective was to learn more research strategies from the college libraries and to use their resources because they have a lot more than what we can have in the high school setting,” Kyle Scudder, AP Research teacher, said. “We pretty much went to a working lab where they got to use their databases and ask their librarians questions.”

With WHHS having such a close proximity to Xavier University, transportation was a gray area. Buses were too expensive for the short distance so the students stepped up and offered rides to their peers.

Students participate in a research workshop within the learning commons at Xavier University (Used with permission from Margo Fisher-Bellman)

”The students were drivers and chaperones could drive as well. We actually have a CPS transportation waiver,” Scudder said. “If the parent signs off, the students are allowed to drive themselves and passengers depending on how long they’ve had their license.”

Hospitality was a theme during the trip. Students were offered a discounted lunch price at $11 instead of the standard $16. Marwa Khzir, ‘25, a student on the field trip, especially enjoyed the lunch.

“It was a buffet-style cafeteria, and we were able to pick our own stuff,” Khzir said.“ There was a breakfast bar, a salad bar, a grill area, an Italian place, a bunch of soft serve ice cream, and a bunch of drinks.”

Despite lunch being a highlight, the trip had even more fun memories.

“After lunch, we had a break, and we were all playing football and stuff,” Alan said. “[school] is all about academics, so having a break from school was really nice.”

$3850
$4500