Student musician soars onto local music scene

Edmund Gimbert
Khara Rosebrook performed a blend of piano and guitar at her show.

Up-and-coming musician SENIOR Khara Rosebrook recently launched her musical aspirations into the spotlight during her solo performance at Muse Cafe last month.

The two-and-a-half-hour setlist shifted between bittersweet ballads and other emotionally charged songs. Rosebrook prioritizes lyrical content and wordplay, and always takes a distinctly personal involvement in the direction of her music. Her performance at Muse was no different.

“I want it [my music] to be background noise sometimes, and other times captivate people. I don’t want it to be too demanding,” Rosebrook said.

Although this was the longest show Rosebrook has undertaken, she is no newcomer to performing. Rosebrook traces her passion for musical experimentation back to small, subtle moments from her childhood.

I think I really got passionate when I first heard ‘Mean’ by Taylor Swift because I just had never listened to a song like that before, one that was so confessional and so vulnerable,” Rosebrook said. “I just wanted to write about stuff like that because that’s what I was going through.” 

From her origins as a Swiftie to opening for fellow Cincinnati musician Jess Lamb, Rosebrook has continually refined her songwriting ability and musical talent.

Rosebrook began playing music at nine when she started practicing piano. Later, she picked up a guitar to complement her songwriting skills, although the piano remains her current beacon of inspiration to this day. Rosewood also appreciates the importance of listening to a variety of artists and genres as inspiration, a fascination that inspired her recent venture into electronic music as well as alternative pop. 

“Lyrically, Regina Spektor [is] one of my greatest inspirations,” Rosebrook said. “I think she’s witty, I think she’s smart and profound, and those are all the things I try to be in my writing.” 

Rosebrook believes that listening to a wider range of music helps expand her knowledge of the medium and broadens her avenues of musical inspiration. Despite her inspiration from many eclectic artists, she never feels like her work loses its authenticity. She also observed the importance of creative output and experimentation. 

“Write and make as much as you can, and play music with as many people as you possibly can,” Rosebrook said. “If you have any friends who have started playing instruments, you should just immediately link up with them.” 

Rosebrook doesn’t plan to stop experimenting anytime soon. She hopes to record and release a few singles, possibly before moving to college. In the meantime, she plans to continue experimenting with music and booking more shows. 

“I’m going to play a plethora of different songs with different tones and see what sticks,” Rosebrook said.

Rosebrook has one important piece of advice for WHHS students looking to start playing, performing or simply looking to expand their own range of artistic expression.

“I definitely think it’s just about working on it [your skills], not to the point of exhaustion, but to the point of new heights and new inspirations,” Rosebrook said.

$3850
$4500