The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

Polls

What concerts are you planning to go to?

• Taylor Swift (93%, 14 Votes)
  • Drake (7%, 1 Votes)
  • Morgan Wallen (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Young the Giant (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ella Mai (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 15

Loading ... Loading ...

Althea the athlete

Along+with+track+Althea+also+enjoys+expressing+her+musical+side+by+playing+cello.+
Lael Ingram
Along with track Althea also enjoys expressing her musical side by playing cello.

Althea Davis, ‘29, a new addition to the student body, has recently been recognized by Olympic gold medalist and alumn Mary Wineberg for her speed on the track. Davis has been running since the fourth grade. She found joy in racing the other boys and girls in her elementary school. 

“The boys wouldn’t want to race me because of how fast I am,” Davis said. 

Competing in lighthearted races at her school against the other students became a breeze for her. She loved to run and has always been naturally athletic. 

“I’m already working out and running with the Walnut track team,” Davis said. 

She plans on running indoor and outdoor track for the school. Over the summer, she runs with the Cincinnati Allstars summer track team.

“With my summer track team, I did so well that I made it to the Junior Olympics,” Davis said. 

Davis faced tough competition at regionals, but still pulled out a win despite an injury. 

“I twisted my leg and felt a really sharp pain but kept running despite the injury,” Davis said. 

Davis’ accomplishments are widespread from competing in the Junior Olympics to racing against Wineberg. The race took place over the summer and was a surprise to Davis.  

“It was kind of a surprise, they took me to the track and told me to bring my running shoes,” Davis said. 

Wineberg was someone she looked up to and wanted to race.  

“The race was really fun,” Davis said. “I beat her.”

Beating Wineberg in a race is something she is proud of and recognizes as an accomplishment in her track career. 

“I would say I am pretty competitive,” said Davis.

Davis loves the competitiveness of the sport and doesn’t take winning her races lightly. She loves being the first person to cross the finish line.

“I don’t like [cockiness] when [people] can’t back it up, it makes them look bad,” Davis said. 

Davis has lots of confidence in her athletic ability and her speed on the track. She usually ranks high at her meets. 

“I have mostly come in second or third but I won my 100-meter in Michigan,” Davis said. 

When fighting tremendous obstacles in a hard race, she just thinks to herself, “Well, [I] know that there’s going to be an end,” said Davis. “It’s not going to last forever.”

$4500
$4500