The fellow with a cello

Selby Lin
For Myles practicing is key but he didn’t always understand the value of practicing. “Initially starting out I didn’t practice too much ever, even when I could. And then there was one audition for the Youth Orchestra and I didn’t get in and then I realized, I needed to practice.”

Myles Yeazell first started playing cello as a student in the WHHS orchestra program. Now many years later, he is a part of the orchestra program again, but this time as a cello teacher. 

“I started [playing cello] in seventh grade because I needed to take a fine arts elective,” Yeazell said. “I was looking at beginning strings because I thought it would be guitar, but it was orchestral instruments.”

When he was asked to decide what instrument to play, the cello seemed like the best option to him.

“Violin and viola were too small, and double bass at the time was double my size,” Yeazell said. “The cello was the right size.” 

After choosing the cello Yeazell began to realize how much he loved the instrument because of its other qualities.

“The tone of the instrument has a super wide range, and you can play the majority of the music in the world just because of the range,” Yeazell said.

After being part of the beginning strings program, Yeazell decided to continue playing in the orchestra during eighth grade because he loved cello and the music program. He participated in Walnut’s orchestra program for his entire time at WHHS.

“From the start, they [the instructors] were very supportive with everything I was doing. I started lessons in eighth grade, and from there, Mr. Caliguri, saw potential in me and then helped push me along and encouraged me,” Yeazell said. “Eventually with lessons, it [his love of the cello] just kind of took off.”

After realizing his passion for the cello, Yeazell was encouraged to reach out to the Alumni Foundation in search of opportunities to grow as a cellist.  

“With the Alumni Foundation, we found a couple of people to help sponsor me to make a trip to China in tenth grade,” Yeazell said. “When I went to China I was surrounded by so many other musicians. There was a festival there, and that inspired me,” Yeazell said. “Without that [the trip], I wouldn’t have had a moment in China where I chose to pursue the cello.”

Yeazell went on to receive a bachelor’s degree in cello performance from the UC Conservatory of Music and then attended the Thornton School of Music at the University of Southern California. There he also worked with the Los Angeles Youth Orchestra and performed with the Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra. Recently, he has come back to Cincinnati and back to Walnut to teach private cello lessons.

“It’s weird [being back at Walnut] in the aspect that I don’t recognize anyone except for teachers, but it’s just good to be back. I enjoyed my time here.”

He is excited to teach cello lessons to students and help them grow and overcome challenges. 

“My favorite thing is always just seeing the growth of the students. It’s cool to try to be a role model for them because I was in their shoes at one point,” Yeazell said. “One of my students started cello at the same time as me so I see myself in him and he’s doing well so it’s cool.”

Yeazell is juggling teaching at WHHS and pursuing his master’s degree in cello performance at the UC Conservatory of Music. 

“My final goal is to be a member of a professional orchestra. It’s just something that I’ve always been a part of, and I enjoy the process of playing music with a lot of other peers and people,” Yeazell said.

For the time being Yeazell is ready to begin his new role as the cello teacher at Walnut.

“I’m excited to be back and to be on the other side where I can help teach the kids.”

$4500
$4500