Gabe Robinson remembered, 25 years later

PJ Varatta, Staff Writer & Photographer

There are many scholarships which are given away to students at this time of year and one of them is the Gabe Robinson Alumni Scholarship, which honors a former student who suffered an untimely death. This year’s winners are SENIORS Morgan Mullins and Rylee Williams. This is more about Gabe’s story.

Gabe Robinson was a Walnut student whose life came to a tragic end on January 30, 1998 when he suffered cardiac arrest on the basketball court while playing against Northwest High School.

Robinson was a beloved member of the Walnut community at the time, and was an exemplary student athlete. 

Robinson “achieved great grades and never was in any trouble” Tim Mersch, the athletic director at the time of Robinson’s death told the Chatterbox in a previous interview.

Robinson was more than just an amazing athlete and student. He was an amazing person. 

Not only did he carry himself well on the court, but off the court he was even greater…For this he will be missed.” Chuck Holmes, Gabe’s former classmate, told the Chatterbox in an earlier interview.

Despite the tragic situation, Robinson’s parents remained grounded in their faith and offered and leaned on support from the Walnut community.

“The good Lord just took him and at the time of his young life, loving what he was doing…But the love from the team and the love of the Lord is keeping us together.” Jackie Robinson, Gabe’s father, told the Chatterbox in an earlier interview.

Robinson is still remembered in many ways around school. His jersey number, 22, was retired and an annual scholarship is now given away to a deserving student. A basketball game is now played annually to honor and commemorate Robinson’s untimely passing as well as the positive impact he had on the Walnut community.

A plaque commemorating Gabe Robinson is displayed in the Junior High Gym. This was a gift donated from the class of 1999.

I knew his coaches and teammates loved him, but I heard story after story of classmates, teachers, and even an elementary student who only knew Gabe as a fellow bus rider who was nice to her. It was Gabe’s kindness.” said Mike Herald, Robinson’s former coach, in an earlier interview to the Chatterbox.