College Credit Plus guide

This visual represents the steps needed to enroll in CCP classes

Bareen Abdulrahman

This visual represents the steps needed to enroll in CCP classes.

Bareen Abdulrahman, Managing Editor of Current Events

College Credit Plus (CCP) is a program in which students can earn both high school and college credits, and in doing so, lower the cost of college tuition. CCP courses can be taken online, as asynchronous virtual courses, on a college’s campus, or in some cases here at WHHS, and they are paid for by the state.

What is the difference between AP and CCP Courses?
Both AP and CCP courses give students the opportunity to take college courses in high school, but there are some differences between the two.
CCP courses help students save time and money because they are funded by the district and students can take them as soon as 7th grade. A con is that out-of-state colleges may not accept credits earned through CCP. In-state colleges, however, will accept these credits.
Credits earned through AP courses are accepted by nearly all colleges in America, according to the College Board, so a student looking into Ivy League and out-of-state colleges and universities should take AP courses rather than CCP. A con is that students must pay for the AP exam (about $100 each).
CCP courses can be taken online, at a college’s campus, or on campus (if it is available); however, transportation is not provided by the state. AP courses can only be taken on campus.

What is the workload of CCP courses?
Two students, SENIOR Bella Hue and Amyll Dawson, ‘24, shared their experiences in CCP classes. Hue is taking three CCP courses this year, a history course, English 1001 at UC’s campus, and a Spanish 1 class online.
“College classes in person are not nearly as work dense as even regular classes here at Walnut. A lot of the professors are very chill and they’re fine with late work,” Hue said, “I found it pretty hard to fail a lot of these classes.”
Dawson took CCP Anatomy and Physiology here at WHHS this year.
“It’s constant notes and quizzes and tests, [so] if that’s not your style of learning, then it can be very hard,” Dawson said, “A lot of the time the only homework is studying so I usually study for about an hour.”
Other students shared specific workload descriptions for their classes.
Kirsten Simpson, ‘24, spends 3-5 hours a day on CCP work and meetings, as she takes CCP courses synchronously and asynchronously. Simpson suggested that students take one CCP course over the summer before plunging into multiple, to find out what type of course is best for them. On a scale of 1-10, she rated the stress level a 3, and the workload a 6.
Katie Berich, ‘24, has taken multiple online CCP courses from Sinclair Community College. She said that most of the courses she has taken are heavy on discussion boards, and she feels that taking these courses has removed much stress from her life.