Three groups, one community

Marwa Khzir

At the first meeting of the Tri-M Music Honor Society, SENIOR Caitlin Barilleaux gave a speech to persuade other members to elect her as president.

Marwa Khzir, Managing Editor of Online Content

The Tri-M Music Honor Society gives students throughout the country the opportunity to serve their community through volunteer work, while also simultaneously building leaders in music education and advocacy. WHHS’s own Tri-M Society is composed of orchestra, band and choir students.

The program officially dedicated their program to The National Association for Music Education in 1983, but before that, in 1936, the founder Alexander Harley and his wife Frances started the Maine Music Masters in Maine Township High School. 

“Tri-M Honor Society for music is a group that advocates for treatment of our fine arts department. We help with concerts and organize activities to get music outreach,” SENIOR Sophie Christian, a second year member for the society, said. 

Unfortunately, as with many WHHS clubs, COVID-19 put the society’s plans on hold. As heavier safety precautions were enacted, many possible volunteer opportunities were limited. 

“A lot of people that I know that were in Tri-M before COVID-19 just didn’t really pick it up [after],” SENIOR Bella Gruber, another member of Tri-M who has been in it for two years, said.  

The society started inviting students to join the honor society in early October, requiring the recommendation of two teachers, one being their music teacher. Official meetings started Jan. 13 and will continue every other Friday. Many of the students who attend these meetings have a very close relationship with music, including Christian.

Christian’s close connection with music has helped her see music less as a chore, but rather something to look forward to during the day.  

“Music is probably the saving grace, especially for me. Whatever mood I’m in, music can just steady it, especially with choir. I feel like choir is such a tight knit community, the whole fine art department is, but I feel safe in choir,” Christian said. “It’s just like a big family. Connecting with your family through music is great.”

Christian adds that for her, music classes are a time where she has the opportunity to decompress from the stress of other things in the world. 

“I feel safe in choir. If I’m having a bad day, I know choir will be good. Singing music sounds arbitrary and, of course, it’s tedious, but in the end, you’re working with a bunch of talented people that understand you,” Christian said.