The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

Polls

What concerts are you planning to go to?

• Taylor Swift (93%, 14 Votes)
  • Drake (7%, 1 Votes)
  • Morgan Wallen (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Young the Giant (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ella Mai (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 15

Loading ... Loading ...

What’s with all the racket?

Jorja Wilkerson
Although Peerless has played tennis for five years, this is his first year a part of the WHHS tennis team.

In a season filled with triumphs and unforgettable matches, the varsity tennis team has proven themselves to be a force to be reckoned with. With their unwavering dedication, skill and teamwork, they have soared to new heights. With a record of 7-2,  the team has showcased their exceptional abilities match after match.

Recently, they defeated Mason’s mens’ tennis team, the No. 2 in the state, after being defeated by them for the last three consecutive years. 

“One of the highlights of the season was definitely beating Mason’s A team. We haven’t won against them in a while,” Jonah Cotton-Riker, ‘24, a player on the varsity team, said. 

However,  for the team, it’s not just about wins and losses. This season has been a journey of growth for each team member. Their extensive game and practice schedule can make it hard to prioritize the student aspect of student-athlete. 

“Time management is definitely a struggle, matches can be back-to-back for hours,” Cotton-Riker said. 

Tennis is a sport that demands a high level of skill, combining physical prowess with mental toughness. Players must hone a diverse set of abilities, from the power and precision needed for serving to the agility and quick reflexes required for diving after the ball.  

“I mean [tennis] has a high skill [level] ceiling, but it’s not too difficult to learn,” Armaan Tindni, ‘27 said. 

Along with physical skill, training for tennis like any sport comes with inherent risks. Injuries can become a common part of an athlete’s journey. 

“Our team struggles with injuries. It seems that there are a lot of injuries and when it happens we take good time to rest, go to training and support each other when we’re out,” Jacob Peerless, ‘27, a player on the tenis team, said. 

Peerless also says that his style of play is often influenced by other players in the sport. He looks up to various athletes, specifically Ben Shelton, a professional American tennis player.

“He’s so shifty, respectable and has great gameplay. He’s my ‘king’ and I strive to play like him,” Peerless said. 

Along with inspiration from other athletes, the varsity team’s  success can also be credited to their good sportsmanship. Their conduct on and off the court has been a testament to their character and the values instilled in every player. 

“[My goals for this season are] teamwork and working together as a team. When we hype each other up and congratulate each other for doing good, that’s when we start to play our best,” Peerless said.

$4500
$4500