Slammed with exams

Students+hard+at+work+in+class+studying+for+a+test.+
Nico Daniels
Students hard at work in class studying for a test.

First-semester exams are a series of end-of-semester tests that take place from Dec. 12 to Dec. 15. Many new Effies and E-flats will take their first exams this December, and they may be feeling overwhelmed as they plan how to prepare themselves for success during the final week of the semester. Many upperclassmen have experience and knowledge when it comes to exam preparation and the act of studying for one. Students who have experience taking exams shared advice for middle school students. 

Some students felt that exams for certain subjects were more challenging than others. 

“For the classes I normally struggle in, [exams are] somewhat challenging, but otherwise no,” Trinity Vernon, ‘26, said.

Bryce Richardson, ‘26, agreed “Exams could be fairly challenging at times.”

“It is very helpful to go to available help nights and ask for help when needed,” Vernon said. “Do not procrastinate on studying.” 

When taking multiple exams on the same day, it can be overwhelming to start studying the night before. 

“Study for your exams early, not two days before or even the week of [the exam],” Richardson said.

When asked what something is that will help you succeed with your exams, Jeilah Mays-Roddy, ‘27, said “studying and reading over the study guide will definitely help and take off as much stress as possible, considering it’s the final week and can get super stressful.” 

Stress can negatively affect exam performance, so it is important to make sure you are getting enough sleep and eating healthy meals leading up to exam week.

Richardson, Mays-Roddy and Vernon said their hardest exam was math. Prioritize which exams you should spend more time studying for depending on the difficulty of the class and your first and second quarter grades. 

A “Preparing for Exams” packet can be found on the latest issue of the Eagle Flyer. The packet provides subject-specific suggestions on how to prepare for math, English, science, social studies and foreign language exams.

$3850
$4500