Shooting with spirit

Kellyn Brogan
During Eagle Madness, the girls’ and boys’ teams went head to head in a series of relays and contests.

Nov. 17 marked the start of basketball season at WHHS.  To truly get into the spirit, WHHS organized a special night, titled ‘Eagle Madness,’ dedicated to showing off the teams and the players that comprise them. 

During Eagle Madness, teams competed in contests and relays to spark friendly competition and get others excited for the season to come.

“It definitely got me hyped up,” JV men’s player Jayden Seeley, ‘27, said. “The energy was very electric, very energizing.”

The basketball teams spend countless hours perfecting their craft, and having a special event dedicated to showcasing them and their hard work can make all the struggles seem worth it.

“It was pretty good,” Varsity men’s player, Damien Brock, ‘26, said. “It shows a lot of support from the fans.” 

An encouraging audience can quickly change the atmosphere; it can add to the energy of the game, and with it, the intensity of the team.

“I feel like it boosts my confidence,” JV player Brenton Isham, ‘27, said. “After [I make] a shot it is fun having a bunch of people cheering.”

While having a band of people in attendance can quickly build up energy and excitement, it can tear it down just as fast.

“Sometimes it can get me distracted and unfocused,” Seeley said.

Knowing there are dozens of people in the stands watching your every move can add a lot of pressure to the players, and cause them to mess up.

“It can make me nervous at times, especially if I make a few mistakes,” Isham said.

Though having people watch you can add unwarranted stress, ultimately, Eagle Madness has a positive effect on the WHHS community.

“I think Eagle Madness is good because the parents get to know the players and it’s just a fun experience for all the new people to the basketball team that didn’t play last year,” Isham said.

$4500
$4500