Letter from the Editor

Matthew Youkilis, Editor-in-Chief

Dear readers,
As we begin another journey together this year, we all must realize that we have a story to tell. Every member of the WHHS community has woken up early in the morning for some purpose. Somewhere, whether in the struggles we have faced or in the dreams we have lived, there is a story.
This year, in Volume 113 of The Chatterbox, we will work diligently to highlight these interesting, important stories. As a publication, we recognize the immense responsibility and opportunity we have been given as “the student news publication of Walnut Hills High School,” and we are ready for the challenge.
We have a fantastic staff, all committed to reporting accurate, relevant and stimulating news to our school community.
My name is Matthew Youkilis, and I have the privilege of serving as Editor-in-Chief this year. I am honored to be able to build on the legacy of The Chatterbox, following in the footsteps of many great young journalists who have been motivated to tell these crucial stories.
In order to accomplish this goal, we recognize the need for progress as a publication. This year, in addition to 13 bi-weekly print issues, we will better utilize our website, whhscbox.com. This way, we can tell more stories and report news even when we are not publishing in print. Digital announcements will also be visible on our website, as well as on the TVs in the cafeteria.
We also hope to expand our video production this year, so we can tell the news in more engaging ways and better feature our student body. Finally, we will soon begin creating podcasts on various topics, including news, music and sports.
We invite all members of the WHHS community to contribute to The Chatterbox. WHHS students certainly have opinions, and we would love for more students to write guest articles. We also welcome letters to the editor, questions for Piper Peanut, photo submissions, comments and constructive criticism.
Students can join The Chatterbox club by coming to room 2306 every Thursday during lunch and every other Tuesday after school, where they can improve their skills in writing, photography, design and more.
We have many goals this year, following two primary intentions: to tell those stories that only exist in our WHHS community, and to accurately show how news around the world may affect our community. I am excited to begin to work toward these goals, and I can’t wait to see all of you reading The Chatterbox!

Matthew Youkilis