Belittle your burdens

This+is+the+official+cover+photo+for+Wally%2C+the+anonymous+and+opinionated+SENIOR+columnist+for+the+Chatterbox.+
Ea Perkins
This is the official cover photo for Wally, the anonymous and opinionated SENIOR columnist for the Chatterbox.

All views shared in the Opinions section of the Chatterbox belong to their respective authors, and may not represent the views of the publication as a whole.

Hey Eagles, 

It’s Wally, here again with some new advice for you.

Along with the start of the second quarter, we have upcoming college application deadlines, important standardized testing and an above-average amount of work that has rushed in on us all. Some sports seasons are ending, others are just starting, recitals and performances have hit, and on top of it all, exams will be here sooner than we think. Stress levels are high within all of us, so I want to offer you some fun, fall-themed ways to manage your stress. 

Go for a run!

Throw on some activewear, grab your favorite pair of headphones and go for a run. Find your pace within your favorite tunes, which can be anything from the new Drake album to Taylor Swift’s classic autumnal bops. October weather is perfect for outdoor exercise and according to the American Psychological Association (APA), 33% of high-stress adults feel less stressed after exercise. 

Read!

“Reading is fundamental”, the old saying goes. And in terms of stress, it actually is. In 2009, a research study at the University of Sussex found that reading reduces stress by an impressive 68%. So pick up a book before bed and settle in. Reading is also said to help improve the quality of your sleep. According to Healthline, in a study where 496 participants were asked to read a book before bed and 496 were asked not to, 42% of readers felt that their sleep had improved while only 28% of non-readers felt better about their sleep. 

Have some fun with friends!

This can be whatever you want it to be as long as you have your friends by your side. You could stay in and play video games, bake some Halloween-themed treats or visit a fall festival nearby. As stated by the APA, “Friendships protect us in part by changing the way we respond to stress. Blood pressure reactivity is lower when people talk to a supportive rather than a friend whom they feel ambivalent about.” Gather your best friends for that debrief you’ve been dying to have and let it all out. 

Stop procrastinating!

Coming from someone who frequently procrastinates, I know planning isn’t for everyone. However, the cons, in this case, outweigh the pros. The National Center for Biotech Information says, “Procrastination has been most thoroughly studied in student populations, where it has been associated with increased levels of stress, anxiety, depression and poor academic performance, but also with putting off everyday obligations.” Give yourself more than enough time to do things. If that essay for English will only take you an hour theoretically, give yourself four hours. Overcompensating time for yourself will give you time to watch TikTok for an hour or three and still have time for your essay in the end. 

Finally, take a deep breath!

According to Harvard Health Publishing, Shallow breathing limits the diaphragm’s range of motion. The lowest part of the lungs doesn’t get a full share of oxygenated air. That can make you feel short of breath and anxious.” So breathe in through your nose, breathe out through your mouth, and remind yourself that whatever “it” is, it will be okay. Remember, whatever you’re going through at 13 or 15, or yes, even 17, is usually not that deep.

That’s all from Wally this time, Eagles.

Stay healthy and stress-free. 

Until next time!

$3850
$4500