Preview of the 2022-23 theatre season

+WHHS%E2%80%99+first+play+of+the+2022-2023+season%2C+Macbeth.+Performed+by+WHHS+students%2C+taking+place+on+Nov.+3-4+at+7+pm%2C+and+Nov.+5%2C+at+2+pm.+%0A

Courtesy of WHHS Theatre Department

WHHS’ first play of the 2022-2023 season, Macbeth. Performed by WHHS students, taking place on Nov. 3-4 at 7 pm, and Nov. 5, at 2 pm.

One of the many opportunities available to WHHS students for this year’s theatre production season includes the productions of Macbeth, Carrie, Puffs, One Acts and 42nd Street

“If you want to be a part of a community, theatre is a great choice,” said Helen Raymond-Goers, a theatre teacher who also goes by RG. 

Students can audition for the crew or be an actor. Each show has three days of interviews and auditions. Additional information can be found on the WHHS theater website.

The first production of this year’s season is Macbeth, a gory play that is one of the world’s most well-known tragedies, written originally by William Shakespeare. 

In the play, a popular Scottish noble and general is given a mysterious prophecy by three witches telling him he will be king.  Macbeth murders his way to the crown, losing his humanity along the way. 

This production will speak to mankind’s capacity for destruction. This will be performed on Nov. 3-5 at 7 p.m, and Nov. 5 at 2 p.m. in the Black Box theatre.

Crew opportunities are available for anyone from seventh grade to SENIORS. 

“Students who apply to be on a crew and for whatever reason are not selected to be on a specific crew can still get involved,” RG said.  

The scene shop and costume shop will each be open one day a week for students who are not necessarily on a crew but still want to learn the craft. Times and dates will be posted on the call board. 

The second production of this year is the One Acts, an annual festival of student-produced one-act plays. Produced, directed, designed and performed all by students. The junior high shows are Who am I this Time? and The Well: A Faerie Terror. The Senior high shows are Tracks, and Conflict of Interest. 

Showing dates are Dec. 1 at 7 p.m., and Dec. 3 at 2 p.m. for junior high one acts, and Senior High One Acts are on Dec. 2-3 at 7 p.m. in the Black Box theatre.

The third production of this year is Carrie, a musical adapted from Stephen King’s 1974 novel Carrie. It focuses on an awkward teenage girl with telekinetic powers whose lonely life is dominated by an oppressive, religious and fanatic mother. 

” I think it’s a great season, I like the whole thing together, but Carrie is the one I’m looking forward to the most. It’s like Macbeth but Carrie is bloody and gory with music,” RG said.

Showing dates are Feb. 16-18, at 7 p.m. in the WHHS Auditorium.

The fourth production of this season is Puffs. It’s the story of Wayne Hopkins, a regular boy who finds out he’s a wizard and goes to school in England, where he makes two best friends and has adventures. This probably sounds similar to the very popular series Harry Potter, but Wayne is instead sorted as a Puff. He and the other Puffs want to learn how to be wizards and avoid attacks by evil wizards.

Showing dates are April 20- 22 at 7 p.m., and April 23 at 2 p.m. in the Black Box theatre.

The last play of this year’s season is 42nd street, a junior high musical. 42nd Street celebrates Broadway, Times Square, and the magic of show biz with wit, humor, and pizzazz. At the height of the Great Depression, aspiring chorus girl Peggy Sawyer comes to the big city from Allentown, PA. She steps into the starring role to save the show when its star breaks her leg.  Showing dates are May 11-13 at 7 p.m.