Junior high HALL of fame: Macen Hall

Dejah Pickett/ REM

Macen Hall, ’24, is an athlete, a student, and a friend. Known as “Triple Threat Hall,” he puts in the work to excell in his athletic endeavors.

Three sports, homework and balancing friends. These are all things that can become overwhelming if heart and soul are put into them. For Macen Hall, ‘24, taking stressful situations and making them easier for others is built into his DNA.
Known as “Triple Threat Hall,” he has played multiple sports since seventh grade. Hall currently plays football and basketball and runs track. Hall hopes to continue to play sports in the future.
Hall enjoys all three sports he is a part of but does have a preference. “My favorite sport would be football, but I’m better at track,” Hall said.
In football, Hall plays wide receiver and safety. This past season, Hall’s team had a record of 5-2.
Hall is fond of the feeling of playing football and always being on the field. “I got into football because my parents signed me up when I was four years old. The best thing about football is the intensity of the game and the passion everyone has put on the field going along with the hype,” Hall said.
Inspired by football, Hall decided to give track a shot. “I got into track because when I played football we would have to take laps and I would always be the first person to finish and I would never be tired. So, I decided to try track and I turned out pretty good at it,” Hall said.

The best thing about track would be the adrenaline pumping through you at the final stretch of the race

— Macen Hall, '24

Hall joined track in the fourth grade and has been improving on his skills ever since. “I decided to start track in the fourth grade and along with that I was in the top 5 in the state my seventh grade year,” Hall said.
“The best thing about track would be the adrenaline pumping through you at the final stretch of the race,” Hall said.
Along with football and track, Hall is also part of the WHHS basketball team. “I started playing basketball in fourth grade as well because all my friends were playing it and I decided to give it a try,” Hall said.
Hall’s basketball team currently has a record of 18-0 for this season. Hall’s position is a lockdown defender.
Coach Don Louden, the head of the eighth grade boys, has known Hall for almost a year. Louden, who has observed Hall’s effort and hard work he puts into the sport, thinks he is a very dedicated player and team mate.
“[Macen] is always focused on working hard and the energy he brings to the court is what makes him a good player,” Louden said.
Hall serves as an example for his teammates with his determination and leadership skills. “He gives off a good energy that just inspires the whole team. Especially by just being at every practice and doing every drill with giving it his most. He always leads his teammates by example,” Louden said.

He gives off a good energy that just inspires the whole team

— Coach Don Louden

Hall’s strong suit in basketball is defense. “His defense is his best quality as a player on the court. His defense is contagious for the rest of his teammates. He plays very well ‘on the ball defense’ and is good at getting rebounds,” Louden said.
As an athlete, Hall exceeds in many aspects, but even off the field and court, Hall has a radiant personality. “He is just a great and fantastic kid on and off the court,” Louden said.
Hall is not just passionate about athletics. He is passionate about many other things that could take off in his future. “I am very passionate about animals and possibly want to become a veterinarian in the future,” Hall said.

I am very passionate about animals and possibly want to become a veterinarian in the future

— Macen Hall, '24

Hall knows there are struggles that come with being a student athlete. “Remember that if you’re a student athlete, student comes first,” Hall advised.
Hall lives by a quote from Malcom X that inspires him with his everyday life with athletics and school, “When ‘I’ is replaced with ‘we’ even illness becomes wellness.”
Hall may be busy with different sports and clubs, but he always has time to be a considerate friend to many.
Xavier Wiles, ‘24, who has known Hall for a year thinks of him as a good leader as well. “Macen is a great leader and just really easy to talk to,” Wiles said.
Ella Simpson, ‘24, has also been friends with Hall for almost a year now. “Macen is really kind and funny. He always asks people how their day is and just always checks up on people,” Simpson said.

Macen is really kind and funny. He always asks people how their day is and just always checks up on people

— Ella Simpson, '24

Hall’s best friend, TJ Nelson, ‘24, has known him since kindergarten. “He is always there for me and a good person to talk to,” Nelson said.
Hall and Nelson have been side by side on and off the court since they were kids. “I played with him in football in kindergarten and then again in seventh and eighth grade. And then we played basketball together this year,” Nelson said.
Nelson is inspired by Hall as a friend and a teammate. “He is such a leader and his worth ethic of working hard pushes you to do better,” Nelson said.
As a “triple threat,” Hall inspires other students to try their best in everything they do.