Natl. Scholastic Journalism Week 2019 Day 3 – #EverydayJournalism

Trent Willhite

Everyday, the staff of The Chatterbox, now over 30 members strong, covers the happenings of our massive school community. From the news on the basketball court to the classroom and the national stories beyond, The Chatterbox is proud to produce #EverydayJournalism

While David Hogg was huddled in a closet, unsure if he would walk out of the doors of Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla. alive last February, he pulled out his phone and began to quietly interview his classmates.

“I want to show these people exactly what’s going on when these children are facing bullets flying through classrooms and students are dying trying to get an education,” Hogg told CNN.

When Delaney Owens, ‘21 was huddled in the corner of a computer lab, wondering if the door was locked and if the lockdown was real this time, she tried to squash the panic rising in her throat and ingrain the fear she felt in her brain so she could include it in her next article.

“I wanted to believe that it wasn’t real, but that didn’t stop the panic rising in my throat,” Owens said.

Both fearing for their futures, Hogg and Owens took matters into their own hands, preserving their and other’s voices for the future. This is #EverdayJournalism.

Although student journalists are often dismissed as too young to have an impact, we still report on everything we can. Because we can have an impact.

From covering student features to national issues, we are creating a record for posterity. By reporting on everyday happenings in our school, we are working to ensure that some things are never forgotten.

From looking at local controversies to societal problems, we are informing our readers. By writing about everyday issues that we all face from different perspectives, we are trying to open the minds of students, staff, and community members alike.

And from talking to people and photographing events, we are connecting our student body. By interacting with people we see everyday, we are strengthening our WHHS community.

Everyday, when WHHS student journalists decide to investigate, photograph, and write, we are working to inform, influence, and entertain the WHHS community. Whether it be by covering the impact of national tragedies at WHHS or interviewing students on current events, The Chatterbox is proud to create #EverydayJournalism.