National Portfolio Day

National Portfolio Day is an annual event held to give art students a chance to hear feedback on the work they have created before their Advanced Placement exams.

SENIOR+Elizabeth+Allen+speaks+with+a+representative+at+National+Portfolio+Day+at+the+Art+Academy+of+Cincinnati+on+Oct.+6.+Allen+benefited+greatly+from+attending+this+event%2C+being+accepted+into+schools+and+offered+scholarships+on+the+spot.+

Courtesy Donald Stocker

SENIOR Elizabeth Allen speaks with a representative at National Portfolio Day at the Art Academy of Cincinnati on Oct. 6. Allen benefited greatly from attending this event, being accepted into schools and offered scholarships on the spot.

National Portfolio Day (NPD) is an important event in the art community for AP Studio Art students who are required to submit a portfolio as their AP exam. For seniors interested in pursuing a degree in the arts, it can be a wonderful opportunity to help gain acceptance into the school of their choice.
Though the event is named National Portfolio Day, NPD is an event that spans from September to January. There were two stops in the state of Ohio: one on Oct. 6 at the Art Academy of Cincinnati and another at the Columbus College of Art & Design on Oct. 7. Colleges and universities with art programs from across the country were in attendance.
The AP portfolio consists of three sections: Concentration, Breadth and Quality.
The Concentration section is 12 works that have a common theme, or that tell a story. These works can have the same color scheme, medium, subject matter or technique.
Breadth shows the diversity in the work the student can create; it is a presentation of creativity and the student’s ability beyond their preferred style.
Quality is the five best works created, and the physical copies are sent off.

Allyson Garth
A board displays art created by SENIOR Elizabeth Allen (right) and Julia Johnson, ‘22 (left), from the 2017 Fall Art Show. Any work made prior to 2018-2019 could be shown at Portfolio Day, since the event is early in the school year.

Students can meet with a college representative for 10 to 15 minutes to get feedback on their work. The work can be on a digital device or a physical copy. Attendees are advised not to bring more than 12 works because the pieces that are shown are supposed to be the “cream of the crop.” These works can include finished pieces or works in progress.
Representatives will give the students praise (techniques well-used, interesting compositions) and also constructive criticism (new ideas to explore, what elements are not cohesive).
In addition to getting more insight into how to better their portfolios, some schools offer portfolio approval on the spot.
“[National Portfolio Day is an] incredible day where students from Walnut were immediately accepted into excellent schools and their work was critiqued well,” AP Studio Art teacher, Donald Stocker, said about the opportunity.
National Portfolio Day is a day of creativity and inspiration for artists, and for some, a helpful push in the right direction toward pursuing their dreams.