Remembering Grant

Used with permission from Josten Pictures
Grant was also passionate about all things sports. On Nov. 14, students were encouraged to wear the colors of the Green Bay Packers, Grant’s all-time favorite football team, in his memory.

The death of Grant Luebke, ’27, on Nov. 7 shocked the WHHS community. Students and teachers alike grieved the loss of Grant’s presence. Hundreds of community members attended Grant’s visitation on Nov. 10.

“The Walnut community was so supportive,” Liza Curp, Grant’s mother, said. “It was so amazing to see so many people in their jerseys and sharing stories about Grant. Knowing that 

the Walnut community knew and loved him like we did, it really helped.”

At WHHS, Grant was involved in many extracurriculars, including theater, marching band, Ping Pong Club, Student Congress and French Club. His daring and outgoing personality led to many memorable moments for his peers. One of these memories was when he acted in the production of 42nd Street.

“Grant’s uncle sent him a candy gram that said ‘I’ll give you $100 if you say the word ‘razzmatazz’ in the play,’’ and Grant came out in the next scene and used the word ‘razzmatazz’ right away, which was totally unscripted,” John Curp, Grant’s stepfather, said.

Grant was also involved with the marching band. Initially, he wasn’t sure that he wanted to be in the band, but he grew to enjoy it and made friends along the way. 

“Grant made a really positive impact on everyone around him with his positivity and humor,” Richard Canter, Grant’s band teacher, said. “We’re all better for that.”

Grant carried his friendly attitude into the classroom as well, as Anne Ramsay, Grant’s math teacher in seventh and eighth grade, recalled.

“He was the kid I could put with anybody if we were doing partner work and feel like, ‘Okay, that’s gonna work out fine,” Ramsay said. “He was willing to take intellectual risks… [when] nobody else would raise their hands, he would.”

Along with being outgoing, Grant always created a joyful classroom environment.

“No matter what we were doing he was smiling,” Marjorie Platt, Grant’s eighth-grade English teacher, said. “He had this joyful vibe about him that made you feel seen and it made you feel like his energy was contagious.”

He loved spirit week, going all out for each and every theme. However, his love for dressing up started long before coming to WHHS.

“For his fourth birthday, [he told] every person who asked him what he wanted [was] a different costume,” Liza said. “The only thing he received at that party was costumes… everyone was like ‘Oh great, If I would have known you were getting the costume I would have gotten something else,’ [but] he was like, ‘this is the perfect birthday.’”

For years he would wear the costumes out to stores — his Ironman suit to the grocery store, his Captain America suit to Target. 

Grant’s joyful and bold attitude led him to have a special presence in his family.

“[He] was the glue in our family,” John said. “He got along with everyone and was [the] person you always connected with when you were looking to do something, either around the house or in the neighborhood or [at] a game.”

Growing up, Grant spent every Friday morning with his stepsister Addy Curp, ’24, going to a different restaurant each week. Addy would try a different drink each time while Grant enjoyed sticking to the same thing: hot chocolate. 

“We’d go to Starbucks, Brueggers, another coffee place- only hot chocolate,” Addy said. “We went to Starbucks after school one time and I got him to get a frappuccino, but they didn’t get the right flavor and made a pumpkin spice one instead. He did not like it.”

Grant also had a special bond with his brother, Seth Luebke, ‘24. They shared a room for 11 years and were always close.

“I was picking him up and taking him [from] a soccer game and he was like ‘let’s go to McDonald’s’ and I was like, ‘No we’re going home,’” Seth said. “But I [still] swung by McDonald’s and we ended up sitting there for an hour and a half just making jokes and showing each other TikToks.” 

Grant was a brother, son, friend and student who will be missed by many, each mourning in their own way. 

“It’s okay to laugh, it’s okay to be sad, it’s okay to be mad,” Addy said. “Every way that you grieve is normal and nobody needs to tell you how to do anything.” 

Grant was outgoing, kind and funny, and he left a lasting legacy for others to follow.

“If we take anything from Grant,” Liza said, “it was [to not] be afraid to be yourself and live out loud.”

$3850
$4500