The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

The Chatterbox

Polls

What concerts are you planning to go to?

• Taylor Swift (93%, 14 Votes)
  • Drake (7%, 1 Votes)
  • Morgan Wallen (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Young the Giant (0%, 0 Votes)
  • Ella Mai (0%, 0 Votes)

Total Voters: 15

Loading ... Loading ...

Just take my word for it

Living like an anecdote
Dominic Hamon
Just take my word for it is a column that appears in every other issue. (Made by Dominic Hamon on Canva)

All views shared in the Opinions section of the Chatterbox belong to their respective authors, and may not represent the views of the publication as a whole.

With homecoming week behind us, school seems just that much more boring now. Each day came with new possibilities of colors and outfits to reflect various themes, ranging all the way from our interpretation of a Tik Tok trend to a celebrity who epitomizes comfortable living. Now, the only dominant color within the school is the odd combination of mustard yellow and beige beige which envelopes every wall.

This being said, it is with great sadness that I note the wide lack of school spirit among several of my peers. I have thus taken it upon myself to tell you to live to be an anecdote rather than to be cool.

The trait of positivity is frequently revered for its ‘infectious’ power to make people feel better. It can make a good impact on both the demeanors of others’ and their entire day as a result.

Imagine, for example, the random gentleman who holds the door for you and compliments your shoes, the kind driver that stops and waves you onto a busy road while you’re timidly searching for an opening, or the little kid who looks at you and smiles to reveal only half the number of teeth that should be there. These are all examples of people doing what people should do, spreading positivity. 

In addition to little kind gestures, you can go further to make someone’s day. You may not even realize you’re doing it or who you’re doing it to.

The method I’ve implemented in my life is a simple but effective method: live with the goal of being an anecdote at a family’s dinner. Though it may sound a little foolish, the basic principle is to put yourself out there and be a little uncomfortable compared to your typical norms to better others who see you.

You can do this with anything as simple as going all out for a homecoming theme, not being afraid to dance along to your music at a red light or even just making a point to say ‘hi’ to people you know as you’re walking past them, rather than staring forward and ignoring them.

Sure, some people may give you weird looks or judge you for being corny, but, at the same time, some Effie might run home chattering with their families about how some big, scary senior dressed head to toe in a bright pink outfit at school that day. Some random driver might dance along with you before the light goes green. Some friend of yours may jump for joy because they were graced with being acknowledged by a person as cool as yourself.

Just by putting yourself a little out of your comfort zone by doing simple things like switching up your typical school attire to show your school pride, you can spread positivity. 

So, say ‘hi’ to people you know, be comfortable with being uncomfortable sometimes and don’t always live in your own reality. Make an effort sometimes to make someone else’s reality better.

$3850
$4500