Letter from the Editor

Caroline Horvath

SENIOR Caroline Horvath introduces herself as the Chatterbox Editor-in-Chief for the 2019-2020 school year.

Wassup Chatterbox readers,

Let me introduce myself: I’m Caroline Horvath, Editor-in-Chief of The Chatterbox for the 2019-2020 school year. I’m probably not the first person to welcome you to WHHS, but I hope my welcome will be a little different, maybe informative or even entertaining.

This number probably means very little to you, but this academic year it holds great value. Since 1922 The Chatterbox has been publishing a print newspaper. While not always consistent or timely, it’s always been a part of WHHS tradition. This year marks the one hundred and fourteenth volume of The Chatterbox and I have high hopes for this seemingly average number. 

This year, along with the incredible Chatterbox staff, I aim for the publication to be more inclusive to all students and differing perspectives. In order to make our big school feel small we want to highlight more groups, clubs, students and activities than ever before. Those of you logical and rational people out there may be saying “Well Caroline, how are you going to do this with only an eight page paper with 12 print issues?” And a good question that is. For those of you who are unaware or technologically challenged, we have an outstanding website <WHHSCBOX.com>, maybe give it a look when you have time. In combination with our 12 print issues, we will be publishing new content, articles, photos, videos and podcasts, on our website, helping us cover more students and reach new readers. We also plan to continue our digital announcements through televisions located around the school, keeping students informed about the latest lost and found items and spunky words of the day.

The Chatterbox would not be The Chatterbox without the continued support of our readers. Whether you’re a student, faculty member, parent, friend or supporter of student journalism, I thank you for contributing to our community. With that said, we invite all readers of our publication to write to us their opinions and comments on our articles or happenings in the world. We also encourage you to come to our club meetings during all three lunches on Thursday in 2306, or the J-Lab as we like to call it. 

It’s hard to believe that The Chatterbox has been a part of the WHHS community for so long, and it’s even harder to believe that so many editor-in-chiefs have come before me and written letters from the editors just as I do now. As I scrolled through old letters from the editors hoping to spark ideas and inspiration I was reminded of the history our paper holds. Every article written, picture taken and video filmed captures a part of WHHS history and culture for us and alumni alike to look back on together. I truly hope you’re ready to make history with us this year.

I’ll see you in the halls,

Caroline Horvath