Lady Eagles soar to district title

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lady Eagles soar to district title

The Lady Eagles celebrate as a team as they show off their recently awarded OHSAA District champion trophy and medals. After beating Huber Heights Wayne to win this title at the district level, they advanced to play Centerville High School in the regional semifinals, where they lost 54-39 in a hard-fought effort.

Courtesy Zuri Williams

Courtesy Zuri Williams

Courtesy Zuri Williams

The Lady Eagles took home their second consecutive Division I district title on Saturday, March 2, just their third title in WHHS school history. The ladies played Huber Heights Wayne at Princeton High, winning by a score of 58-49, and improving their record to 25-1 this season.

The win pushed the Lady Eagles onto the regional semifinals game–the “Sweet 16” round leading into the State Final Four–where they played a 24-2 Centerville High School team. In that game, which took place at Fairmont Kettering High School on Wednesday, March 6, the Lady Eagles lost 54-39, ending their dominant season.

• SENIOR Zuri Williams and Sean Kelly Darks, ‘20, scramble for a ball against two Centerville players during the regional semifinals game.

• Darian Burgin, ‘20, jumps to defend a shot by a Centerville player. Burgin’s energy has been a major spark for the Lady Eagles this season.

• Sean Kelly Darks, ‘20, stops to shoot the ball over a Centerville player during the March 6 game.

“We’ve been going at this since August,” SENIOR Zuri Williams said about the Lady Eagles’ preparation and love of the game. “I can honestly say that this was the best team I’ve ever played with.”

Their accomplishments this year have been hard to ignore and are shining moments for the WHHS basketball program.

Following the Division I title game victory, SENIOR Kennedi Myles’ performance won her a nomination for the Enquirer Athlete of the Week award. Myles scored 21 points in the game; 13 of those points were in the fourth quarter alone.

The 2018-2019 season has also earned the team their third consecutive Eastern Cincinnati Conference title. Sean Kelly Darks, ‘20, was named the Eastern Cincinnati Conference Player of the Year.

In the end, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a team and the most caring and competitive coach I’ve ever had.”

— SENIOR Zuri Williams

Even with these individual achievements, it was the entire team performance that led to their success. “In the end, this is the closest I’ve ever gotten to a team and the most caring and competitive coach I’ve ever had,” Williams said. “I couldn’t ask for a better experience.”

Though the Lady Eagles will have to bid farewell to SENIORS like Williams, the team is looking forward to working toward even greater success next year.