Students Demand Action remembers 5/3 victims

The+Students+Demand+Action+club+places+white+roses+around+the+flagpole+in+remembrance+of+the+victims+of+the+Fifth+Third+Center+shooting.+SDA+was+formed+in+response+to+the+rise+in+mass+shootings+in+recent+history%2C+especially+in+high+schools.+

Rehme Leanza

The Students Demand Action club places white roses around the flagpole in remembrance of the victims of the Fifth Third Center shooting. SDA was formed in response to the rise in mass shootings in recent history, especially in high schools.

During the morning of Sept. 6, 2018, a gunman entered the Fifth Third Center downtown off of Fountain Square and began shooting into the crowd of morning workers. He killed three people and injured two others. Hours later, the square was quiet. Silence hung in the air. A single scream rang out. A woman was sobbing into the arms of a policeman.
In the busy halls of WHHS, the news of this shooting quickly reached students. Days later, white roses were placed surrounding the flagpole to commemorate the victims of the shooting. These roses came from the newly formed club, Students Demand Action (SDA). The co-presidents, Kayla Reidy, ‘21, Yousuf Munir, ‘21, and Sophia Necco, ‘19, were drawn together by their passion to change gun legislation and make the community safer.
Reidy, Munir, and Necco are looking to push for action through the student body of WHHS. In meetings, usually after school on Mondays in Kelsey June’s room, 2307, they focus on topics ranging from gun control to helping the students register to vote.
Reidy said, “[Our] main motivation for starting this club was because things were not changing. People who support gun rights and do not help with mental health problems have been in office for too long. Things need to change, and I feel that by starting this chapter of Students Demand Action, [we] can help them to do so.”
As a new club, SDA hopes to spread awareness to students, staff and parents about news related to their activism. According to Reidy, seeing how the students are the “voices that matter right now,” they are focusing on establishing a student body that has the power to reach the officials.
SDA also hopes to positively impact the community of Cincinnati as a whole. In response to the Fifth Third shooting, the club sold white roses to pay tribute to the victims of the shooting. The proceeds of this sale will go to those who were injured and the victims’ families. SDA will be hosting rallies against the current laws surrounding gun control and will continue trying to work toward change in the laws and to urge students to use their voices.
SDA is also focusing on WHHS specific problems, such as the metal detectors. Reidy said,“if [SDA] succeeds in our goal to get new laws passed that increase gun control, students at Walnut will not need to live in fear of being shot at school or need to be late to their first bell every morning because they had to walk through the metal detectors.”
They also are emphasizing the need for those who are able to vote to be registered and aware of their opportunity to impact legislation.
The national body of SDA has already made an impact on legislation and lawmakers. Started after the shooting in Parkland, Fla., students all over the nation have come together to share the power of their voice and try to implement change in our society. The students have brought their ideas together and have become a strong impetus for change.