Talking taboo: Tampons and pads

Elena Brown
Made by Elena Brown on Canva

In their lifetime, the average menstruating person spends about $20,000 on menstrual supplies. For many, this exorbitant amount is unmanageable and unreasonable. As a result, a new law recently passed in Ohio requiring all public schools to provide free menstrual supplies for students in grades 6-12.

In the past and currently, Morgan Taylor often gives period supplies to girls in need.

“They would miss school,” Taylor said. “Honestly, it was affecting close to 30% of menstruating bodies, attending school, and also affecting some of that self-confidence of being able to be covered properly. I would see when I would have products, just kind of a relief [from the students].”

As a result, a local non-profit called Girls Health Period (GHP) was founded by former teacher Brittani Gray. GHP focuses on providing menstrual supplies and education to all menstruating bodies. Bene Gyan, ‘24, recently attended a summit held by GHP on menstrual health.

“I just wanted to know more about menstrual products in general, especially since outside of school I work in daycare areas,” Gyan said. “I wanted to be that support for other girls who might need it, that don’t have the support system that provides them the ability to get products.”

This was the second summit hosted by GHP. It focused on educating girls about products, their bodies, and their cycles. 

“The biggest takeaway I got is that everyone doesn’t have the same access to supplies that I do, or the same knowledge that was provided to me,” Gyan said.

GHP supplies WHHS with menstrual supplies about 2-3 times yearly, many of which are from the Always brand. For Gyan and many others, the new law is a huge blessing. 

“I see less people asking and being scared to ask for a tampon or pad [because] they could just go into the bathroom and it’s readily available,” Gyan said.

While Gyan appreciates the new law, she notes that there are still many problems that come along with it. 

“I like that we have products in almost every bathroom but sometimes the supplies are not stocked,” Gyan said. “I also see people are not disposing the products correctly, so I feel like we could get posters up about how to actually dispose products.” 

Taylor hopes that a new sense of enhanced communication will come as a result of the law.

“Let’s get used to saying the word vagina, volva, fallopian tubes,” Taylor said. “Just being able to talk about it so freely is a very powerful asset. It is very natural. If your period did not exist, none of us would be here. Nobody, nobody at all.”

$4500
$4500