Good natured

William Demeter
Research says that children and adults who spend time in nature improve their ability to remain attentive while lowering their levels of stress.

All views shared in the Opinions section of the Chatterbox belong to their respective authors, and may not represent the views of the publication as a whole.

Many students go through crises and don’t know how to deal with the stress or uncomfortable feelings they are subjected to. Most students nowadays do not go outdoors and experience nature the way young people did decades ago.

According to the Journal of Park and Recreation Administration, volume 29 number 2, 201, studies concluded that less than 62.5% of children spent at least two hours outdoors per day. In 2009 a similar study was conducted that showed 67% of children spent at least two hours outdoors per day. From 1995 to 2005 the number of children who spent at least two hours outside per day dropped by 2%.

In response to why these numbers are dropping SENIOR Malachi Mincey said, “It’s more appealing to be inside sometimes. You can get everything you need inside but it’s still good to go outside. I understand why people don’t like to be outside. There’s been an increase in stigmas around certain insects, plants and then, of course, there’s stuff like poison ivy like you just don’t want to risk going outside at all.”

The Bio-Eco Club has been doing a lot of work in the Walnut Woods. On Sept. 28, their club picked up litter and planted trees in the woods.

“It’s nice to see those types of things, because you get to see the end result after you put all of this work into something,” Mincey said.

Nature has always been a good way for students to destress. Going outside for an hour or more, can make one notice a difference in their thinking and they can feel less stress and more relaxation. I believe students feel this way because they are distracted from their previous environment with a new, natural environment.

Rushing water or natural sounds is shown to greatly impact your response to stressful situations. Listening to these sounds right before a stressful event will keep you level headed.
(William Demeter)

I personally go outdoors every single day. I will take my dog into Stanberry park where we hike a trail or go through the forest and sit and listen to the waterfalls. The rushing sound of the water is perfect, it washes away any negative thoughts I may have.

Students at school can feel a lot of stress, especially at WHHS. There are some school provided resources that can help with these stressors, however, a lot of the time it is up to the students to find their own relief. Many school resources aren’t geared toward juniors and seniors, including the student success center, and other tutoring opportunities.

Almost daily, I have a test or quiz to worry about. Or even a pile of homework stacked to the roof. Going out in nature is a great distraction and helps me prepare to take care of those problems.

$4500
$4500