Securing our schools: A new head of security

Axel Kindel
:Michael Woolfork, head of security, can be found helping students in the halls throughout the day.

As the vice principal introduced the staff at the grade level meeting, students chuckled at a photo on the screen – It was a selfie of Michael Woolfork, the new head of security. Woolfork wears two hats, as he does the work of a security guard but also has to deal with the added responsibilities of being the head of security.

“I am the point of contact when it comes to anything dealing with Security, but I still do the day-to-day responsibilities of every other security guard in the building as far as securing the building and interacting with students,” Woolfork said.

The amount of doors to the building have proven to be a big challenge that Woolfork wishes to overcome.

“I think once we get students to not let other people in through all of these doors, because we’ll never have enough people to monitor every single door we have in this building, that will help a lot,” Woolfork said.

A panel of administrators interviewed potential candidates for the job, and from there they decided Woolfork was best suited for the role.

“I think Mr. Woolfork showcases a willingness to be organized, to try to make sure security is visible and accountable,” Vice Principal Mathew Chaney, who was a part of the panel of administrators, said. “he wants to see communication from the security team to administration on how best to coordinate activities, or how best to utilize our security team resources as best as possible.“

In order to achieve his goals, Woolfork asks students for help securing the school.

“Speak out, see something, say something. We are a community. If we keep each other safe then we won’t have problems.” Woolfork said.

$4500
$4500