A new type of hype

Sam Griffin
7 of the ten Nuthouse SENIORS, Julia Wolz, Elliot Santer, Sofia palacios, Joshua Cholak, Lucy Whedon, Ghada Kaseem, Tag Berghausen, line up to cheer for the football team.

The WHHS student section, the Nuthouse, is a fundamental part of sports games. Students in the Nuthouse attend most home games and are there to cheer on each sport to victory. 

The Nuthouse is led by ten SENIORS. Their job consists of planning themes, leading chants and bringing the energy needed to cheer the team on.

“I think it’s fun to feel apart of school more than just going to school here, being in clubs, the student section and playing sports,” Nuthouse leader,Lucy Wedon, said. “It’s more fun when you’re involved.” 

Whedon encourages students to come to all games, home and away, to support the Eagles to a victory, and  to bring a positive mindset. 

“When new people come  we will cheer for them as they’re walking up, I don’t think there’s anything to be scared of,” Whedon said. 

High energy is what keeps the student section going and entertained. Although the football team may not always win, the Nuthouse leaders make sure to keep morale and energy high. 

“We always try to come with a really positive mindset. Even though we’re down by a lot,” Nuthouse leader, Ghada Kassem, SENIOR, said. 

The leaders try to get everyone included in the Nuthouse and try to make sure no one is left out. Students in the student section are seated in grade order, youngest students at the top, older students toward the bottom. The leaders have recently started a new tradition. 

“I think the student section leaders do a good job at keeping the student section live and fun,” Dupree said.  “They keep us cheering and having fun.” 

The Nuthouse can be a very fun experience for students at Walnut as everyone can be included in cheering for the team.

“I love hearing the student section cheer us on. It makes me feel like we can win a game, and we will,” Christopher Potts, ‘27, said. 

Seeing a full student section can mean a lot to players. Having the student section can change the way players feel before their game. 

“I think bring a friend and just come and see, just come to one game and see if you like it,” Whedon said.“I think it’s a very welcoming environment.”

$3850
$4500