Monster of a Show Kills Stereotypes

Declan Robinson, ‘18, Maya Robinson, ‘19, and Clare Brennan, ‘20, all involved with She Kills Monsters, show off posters that illustrates one of the main character’s interest in comics and video games. A variety of student volunteers and WHHS stagecraft students made the set.

Allyson Garth

Isabel Nissley and Joseph Stanichar

The dim lights of the Black Box theater illuminate several actors poised with still faces and swords. “Quiet in the shop,” shouts the stage manager, Matthew Eggers ‘20, and then nods. The actors break from their stillness and plunge into their fantasy world.

The play is complete with sword combat and a intricate set which includes a climbable mountain, and a puppet provided by Madcap, a company nationally recognized for their puppets. The upcoming WHHS theater production, She Kills Monsters, has something to offer for all in the audience.

The story, set in Athens, Ohio, in 1995, follows Agnes Evans, played by Lydia Noll, ‘19, who loses her sister, Tilly, played by Lily Adams ‘19, in a car crash. She delves into her sister’s world of Dungeons and Dragons in order to seek closure about the fact that the two were not close.

Along the way, there are many hilarious situations as Agnes embarks on a weird and otherworldly adventure, along with some heartfelt moments.

Michael Sherman, the director of this production, classifies it as “a dramedy.”

“Overall, it’s a comedy, but there are some very serious and dramatic moments. At the end of the day, I think the audience will leave the play having enjoyed it like a comedy,” Sherman said.

This is the Cappies show, meaning that the play will be critiqued by students from around the city. Most of the actors feel an added pressure to perform their best.

“Lydia and I have been freaking out about being the face of the Cappies show and having to have all this pressure, being critiqued on our acting. It’s a bit more nerve wrecking,” Adams said.

“It’s a story about relationships and friendships and breaking down stereotypes and trying to see people for the human beings that they are other than the labels that we put on them,” Sherman said.

The show runs from Oct. 26 through 28 and is currently sold out, but keep a keen eye out for any future opportunities to see this show.

Disclaimer: Chatterbox member Joseph Stanichar is part of the production of She Kills Monsters.