MENU
Filed under Sports

DeHart Hubbard meet honors WHHS history

Back to Article
Back to Article

DeHart Hubbard meet honors WHHS history

Many runners competed at the DeHart Hubbard meet on March 23. As a result, there were many impressive performances across the board in both long distance and sprinting events.

Zach Bahri

Zach Bahri

Zach Bahri

In the 1924 Paris Summer Olympics, WHHS graduate DeHart Hubbard broke barriers by becoming the first African-American to win a gold medal in an individual event. He competed in track and field, and won his medal in the long jump. Hubbard’s legacy has been honored with a track meet in his name, hosted at WHHS since 2009.

This year’s meet occurred on March 23 and saw the boys’ team placing fourth out of 13 teams overall and the girls placing 11 overall out of 16 teams. There were many notable performances from individual runners.

For the boys, Henry Hattemer, ‘21, Ryan Schrenk, ‘20, Zachary Williams, ‘21 and Elliot Brandicourt, ‘21, placed third in the 4x800m relay. In the 110 hurdles, SENIOR Jonathan Brown placed second, in the 1600m hurdles Schrenk placed fifth, Max Simon, ’20, sixth and Garrett Fenton, ‘21, placed ninth. In the 300m hurdles, Brown placed first, in the 400m SENIOR Quinton Cooks also placed first and Jason Dargatz, ‘21, seventh. In the 800m, SENIOR Daniel Beitzinger placed fourth, in the 200m Cooks placed fourth, in the 3200m Brandicourt placed second and Henry Simon, ‘22, placed sixth, Everett Schulze, ‘20, placed ninth and Williams tenth and in the 4x400m relay the team took third.

On the girls’ team, SENIOR Delia Washington took eighth in the 400m, in the 800m Mary Westrich, ‘22, placed fifth and Emma Rankin, ‘21, placed eighth. Washington took fourth in the 200m, and in the 4x800m relay the team placed fourth.

This was the Eagles’ first meet of the season, and hopes have remained high on both teams since.

“It’s our self discipline, and how we work when eyes are off us, and I see us to be very strong in that regard,” Simon said.

About the Writers
Avery Stevens, Sports Writer

In his first year as a chatterbox staff member, Avery Stevens is going to work as a sports writer. Stevens’ goal is to develop his journalism skills...

Sabine Verhaak, Sports Writer

In her third year as a Chatterbox contributor, and now a full time staff member, Sabine Verhaak is excited to work as a sports writer. She hopes to become...