Fall brings new fantasy football season

Nigeal Payne

The 7th grade football team prepares before a game. The team finished 4-4 this season.

Jackson Dunbar, Sports Writer

The WHHS student body consists of a lot of quaint interests. Although, it is safe to say, sports are a big part of our culture. It is something that brings us together as people.
With summer transitioning into autumn, sports fans are ready to embark on another season of football. The sport of American football brings a lot more to the table than just the game itself. It provides us with another season of fantasy football.
Fantasy football is a game where participants are given the opportunity to be general managers of a virtual football team. Each competitor in the league has the opportunity to choose their roster in a draft in which players from a real football league (usually the NFL) are available.
Points in the game are based off how the players perform for their teams in real life. Although it is called “fantasy” football, the game is not make believe.
The success of one’s team in fantasy is completely attributed to the success and talent of the players in real life.
Members of the league face off against one another once a week; the total points for each team determines the victors of each weekly contest.
Leagues often have requirements for joining a league, such as all members putting in money for the overall winner of the league to receive at the end of the season. This creates a game with good competition among friends, family, coworkers, teammates or even strangers.

Out of 234 responses, 212 people know about the game of fantasy football. Fantasy football has been growing as an e-sport since its advent in 1962.

Fantasy football took a couple decades to grow into what it is today. The game originated back in 1962; three men, working and traveling with the Oakland Raiders, created their own rules and point system. They established what would eventually become the basis for fantasy football.
But it was not until 1990, when the very first fantasy football competition, Pigskin Playoff, was launched. This is what current Daily Fantasy Sports are modeled after.
In a recent survey on schoology, 200 WHHS students were asked if they have participated in fantasy football; 40 percent said yes.
SENIOR Shelby Ewing is playing her second season of fantasy this year. When asked why she was interested in playing again, she said, “It’s a fun way to challenge your friends and support sports teams and players you like. Particularly I like the competitive yet humorous nature of my league.”
Although she is the only girl in the league, that does not stop her from competing. She said, “It’s all my swimming teammates that are guys in my league, so it’s fun being the only girl in the league and being in a competition usually dominated by males.”
Many people love the game but not quite everyone. SENIOR Max Kaminski reported he quit playing this year. When asked why, Kaminski said “It was time consuming and boring. Winning is also exhausting.”

Almost 100 people voted that they have participated in fantasy football. The experience is available across many platforms, the most common being the ESPN and Fanduel apps.

Kaminski, when asked about quitting, said, “I regret it a little bit but overall I know i made the right choice.” Retiring from a sport can be tough for athletes, but it is also not easy faor people to walk away from the game of fantasy football.
For those who have never tried fantasy football, you can sign up and join a league at any time during the season through several apps including the ESPN Fantasy App.