“Look good, feel good, play good.”

Here are some fun new sports hairstyles to try from Cosmopolitan: A braided ponytail, a fishtail braid, or double french braids.
Kendra Sullivan

For budding fashionistas, team sports and the uniforms that are associated with them can put a stifle on their personal identity. This is why many athletes choose to spruce up their uniforms through the use of unique hairstyles and accessories. 

Kendra Sullivan, ‘27, a player on the varsity softball team, says that although style definitely plays a role in her decisions, she chooses her hairstyles mainly based on functionality.

“It all comes down to whether or not I can fit my hair under my helmet and my catcher’s helmet,” Sullivan said. “I have to make sure that pigtails or half-up half-down styles are low enough on my head to wear it but I also like to add in a sense of individuality.”

Aside from distinctive hairstyles, many athletes also use accessories to create a unique look, including Angel Crockett, ‘27, a runner on the track team who is known for her blue and gold ribbons which she intertwines with her hair.

“I get a lot of my inspiration from social media,” Crockett said. “Typically I try for functionality first, and then I will add accessories to make it stylish.”

Another common accessory that has recently grown popular is bows.

“I definitely have been influenced by bows,” Crockett said. “Those are really big right now.”

One of the main reasons why bows grew to be so popular was due to TikTok, which has evolved into a platform which many people, especially athletes, often draw inspiration from.

TikTok has also had a role in increasing a variety of different hair type styles.

“I would say that a lot of the time you see a lot of straight hairstyles, or when you look up hairstyles for a dance or hairstyles for a specific thing, like on TikTok or Pinterest, most of the time, it’s going to be seen on people with straight hair. I feel like TikTok has really boosted that community,” Sullivan said. 

One other avenue for customizing uniforms is eye black. Although its intended purpose is to reduce glare from the sun, eye black has transformed as a means for players to add a personalized touch to their look.

When deciding which hairstyle to wear, Sullivan takes into account many factors. “It depends on how I decided to go to school because most of our games are right after school, ” Sullivan said. “So if I have time in the morning to do my hair, I’m going to do [it] and [if] I know it’s game day, I’m going to do something that I know will be comfortable for me to play in, but also express myself a little bit.” (Elena Brown)
“A lot of times in softball girls like to use different styles of eye black with different designs to express individuality,” Sullivan said.

According to her, some of the most common styles include triangles, crosses, straight lines or a jagged smear. 

“Most of the time I do a triangle and a cross,” Sullivan said. “It helps me remember that the only reason I’m playing sports, or the only reason why I’m doing what I’m doing is for God. Also, being able to incorporate my religion with the sports that I play and with other people.”

Ultimately, the effect of unique hairstyles and other customization techniques serves a greater purpose than just looking good.

“I do feel as though I play better when I feel good,” Sullivan said. “When I feel good it’s most of the time because I have a good hairstyle. It’s like the saying ‘look good, feel good, play good.’”

$4500
$4500