The popularity Oscars

+%E2%80%9CBarbie%E2%80%9D+got+eight+Oscar+nominations+in+total.+%28Made+by+Faith+Wallace+on+Canva%29
Faith Wallace
“Barbie” got eight Oscar nominations in total. (Made by Faith Wallace on Canva)

The summer of 2023 was the year of Barbie. Barbie Fever engrossed the country, as the movie became a blockbuster hit that brought people back to the theaters. However, that legacy hasn’t been beloved by all, especially not the critics at the Oscars. 

Margot Robbie, who played stereotypical Barbie in the film, didn’t get nominated for best actress. Greta Gerwig, the director of “Barbie,” didn’t get nominated for best director either. Fans claim that Barbie got “snubbed,” but does it really matter? 

Many people who were upset that the movie didn’t get nominated said that they felt as though the lack of nominations was a measure of the patriarchy. Ryan Gosling, who was nominated for best supporting actor, and America Ferrera, who got her first Oscar nomination, apologized for their wins saying that they were disappointed that Margot and Greta didn’t receive a nomination. Hillary Clinton even put out a post saying that “Barbie” should have won. 

Some even refer to this as a backward step against feminism. However, “Barbie” isn’t the pinnacle of feminism, it’s just a pop culture phenomenon. To put this as a nomination against feminism ignores all the women who get nominated in favor of stereotypical Barbie. 

It ignores all the women that got nominated like Justine Triet, the nominee for best director for “Anatomy of the Fall.” Lily Gladstone made history as the first Native American woman to be nominated for best actress in Oscar history. Why is there so much pressure for Barbie to win? The Oscars should not be a popularity contest.

It’s hardly a snub when the list is so stacked to begin with. There were so many good movies this year that didn’t get the focus at the Oscars and Barbie isn’t one of them. Here is a list of other deserving movies that should have received a nomination at the Oscars. 

“They Cloned Tyrone” – A fantastic movie that subverts the audience’s expectations of what should go on in society and transforms from a horror movie to reality. It focuses on the limiting roles that many African Americans feel like they have been given. It has a similar premise to American Fiction, which has been nominated for five awards, however, the main character is far less pretentious. 

“Saltburn” – The movie has gorgeous scenes and while it may not have been subversive in plot it should have been nominated just based on cinematography. The movie transformed the viewer into the rich world of indulgences and created a distinct cultural phenomenon experienced by this generation. Surely that deserves an Oscar. 

“Rye Lane” – It’s criminal that this didn’t get nominated in the international category. It showcases original content not based on previous IPs. Exhibiting the ups and downs of love and the quick wit of the actress Vivian Oparah deserves a round of applause. However, with it being a rom-com I can see why it might not have gotten the praise it should have gotten.

$3850
$4500