Students from all grades at WHHS came together to create a wide variety of art pieces with just their creativity and chalk. Two junior high teams competed at the chalk drawing. (Sydnie Barrett)
Students from all grades at WHHS came together to create a wide variety of art pieces with just their creativity and chalk. Two junior high teams competed at the chalk drawing.

Sydnie Barrett

Junior high chalks it up at Earth Jam

October 19, 2019

WHHS held their annual Earth Jam celebration the week of homecoming this year, and with it, the Chalk Drawing competition. One group of eighth grade friends, Andrew Rhoades, Evelyn Steudler, Alexis Miller and Daylei Cavins, ‘24, decided to enter this contest for a fun time and share their art with the school.

They based their drawing on the Greek goddess Persephone, the goddess of spring. “We thought it was a nice idea. She’s very peaceful and looking at her makes you feel happy,” Steudler said. They all came up with the idea of Persephone together and each student added their own touch.

“After seeing [the chalk drawings] from last year, and seeing how groups of friends got to work together all day and draw, I thought ‘Wow, that’s my paradise,’” Steudler said. “And it doesn’t hurt that you get to miss class,’’ Miller added.

After seeing [the chalk drawings] from last year, and seeing how groups of friends got to work together all day and draw, I thought ‘Wow, that’s my paradise.’

— Evelyn Steudler, '24

“Holding Earth Jam [in the fall] is only a minor inconvenience,” Steduler said, “it’s hard with testing and it wouldn’t be fair to just not have it at all.”

Earth Jam was held in the fall this year rather than in the spring. This change was due to testing taking place throughout the day in the spring.

The four friends all agreed with Rhoads when he said “the school should have [Earth Jam] both times; spring and the fall.” They all said they had a fun time and plan on entering the contest again next year.

$3850
$4500

About the Contributors
Photo of Isabella Zinchini
Isabella Zinchini, Deputy Editor in Chief

In her fourth year on the Chatterbox staff, Isabella Zinchini is excited to work as Deputy Editor in Chief.

Zinchini is passionate about journalism...

Photo of Sydnie Barrett
Sydnie Barrett, Managing Editor of Broadcast

In their fifth year as a Chatterbox staff member, Sydnie Barrett is absolutely vibrating with excitement to be the Managing Editor of Broadcast. After...

The Chatterbox • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$3850
$4500