Peoples and the eagles jazzing it up

Photo Courtesy of: Andrew Peoples

“I did consider being a professional musician, but I now feel that my students give me more happiness; in other words I am glad that going forward, I chose to be a teacher,” Peoples said.

Jazz has been around for quite some time, being one of the oldest forms of music. Andrew Peoples, a WHHS teacher who leads the Jazz Band, has been teaching for five years and has been engaging with his students in every way. He also teaches Beginning Band, Intermediate Band and the Symphonic Band.

The WHHS Jazz Band has been working on keeping the music alive as other genres continue to grow. They have also been conveying to the whole WHHS community that jazz is a growing and evolving genre of music and never reverts back to its original form. Peoples and his students work everyday to improvise and make jazz a thrilling experience. 

On Nov. 18, the Jazz Band performed their concert in the auditorium. They have been working on making the music more and more intriguing as the Jazz studies in schools shorten. Since many people listen to other types of music such as hard rock and rock n’ roll, the whole idea of listening to Jazz music is slowly dissipating and this affects school classes as well.

In addition, Peoples is inspired by many of his students. 

“Jazz is a language,” Peoples said. “One of my best motivators for jazz are my students.” Students are avid about learning jazz and it keeps making an appearance in multiple concerts at WHHS. Although this year hasn’t been working in many musicians’ favor, it is still the passion for the WHHS music program that drives students to be involved with Jazz studies. “My former students inspired me because they were spending their lunch bell improvising,” Peoples said.

WHHS orchestras and bands of 50-60 people still play in an ensemble but it is different compared to what happens when a small bunch get together and play music. 

“Jazz combos are extremely fun because you get to build on each other’s solos and you can work together more. Whereas in a large ensemble, it takes time to build up to mastery,” Peoples said.

Peoples directs the whole Jazz Band but also plays with them. He has worked hard to master the art of his instrument, the trombone. 

Peoples wanted to be an athlete at first but his dad wanted him to pick an instrument. While at tryouts, he wanted to play the bassoon but since students were not able to march with a bassoon, People’s dad denied it. After his dad told him this, Peoples went to another school instrument tryout. There, he tried a few instruments. But, when the brass section came, one of People’s older brother’s friends was there. He was there to fit people with the trombone. After getting his lips to the trombone, he knew it was the instrument he wanted to play.

Moving forward, through years of playing, he participated in bands and he had at one point considered being a professional musician. But when the position for Jazz teacher at WHHS opened up, he took it.

Through years to come, Peoples continued to teach and even when COVID hit, he persevered and was able to host a concert to continue Walnut’s Jazz concert tradition.

Overall, many students throughout the country take music classes, but not all schools offer the opportunity to play jazz music and take jazz studies.

“Anyone should get an opportunity to be in our band no matter how talented they are,” Peoples said.