SENIOR Lucy Lander is a middle blocker and right side blocker for the Women’s volleyball team. She collected 29 kills throughout the season. (Catherine Frost )
SENIOR Lucy Lander is a middle blocker and right side blocker for the Women’s volleyball team. She collected 29 kills throughout the season.

Catherine Frost

Lander Leads The Way: Volleyball SENIOR Reflects On Her Final Season

January 25, 2022

The Women’s volleyball team only had two SENIORS this season, Lucy Lander and Julia Berman. The team was left with a lot of ground to make up this season after graduating nine SENIORS from the program in 2020, but Lander and Berman stepped up and became leaders, but also had fun during the season. 

Lander began playing volleyball in the 8th grade, and immediately found a passion for the sport. 

“I felt like I improved very quickly,” Lander said.

Lander was on the varsity team the last two seasons, but began playing club volleyball right after her 8th grade year.

“Going into sophomore year I knew volleyball was my sport and I was going to put my all into it,” Lander said. 

Previously Lander was a seasoned swimmer for six years, but stopped before becoming an Eagle. Without swimming, she struggled to find a community in 7th grade. 

“I figured I was tall, so I had a chance [with volleyball],” Lander said. “I wanted to get involved, so I could feel like I belonged somewhere at Walnut.”

She instantly found that community she was looking for with the volleyball team.

“I love game days, they’re so fun,” Lander said. “Supporting each other through sports and being around people everyday who love the same thing you love is really nice.”

Lander received an ECC honorable mention this season and was invited to play in the SENIOR showcase for district 16 in the postseason, where she was awarded for her skill.

“Julia [really pushes me], she was our starting setter and was thrown into that position after not playing much last year,” Lander said. “I felt like I pushed her and she pushed me back, it was really good for us.”

Despite their losing record of 2-16, the Lady Eagles won their first round playoff game against Princeton Highschool.

“Making it to the second round was a big thing for us,” Lander said.

The team also held their own against Ursuline, a top five team in the state. 

“They should have beaten us by a lot more than they did, we really held our own,” Lander said. “Even when things seem that they’re at their worst there’s always a way up.”

Lander was able to find the importance of continuing through a challenging season, and leading a team with a full heart through tough loses. 

“There’s always something you can learn from playing a sport,” Lander said.

$3350
$4500

About the Contributors
Photo of Kylie Bridgeman
Kylie Bridgeman, Sports Writer

In her second year as a Chatterbox staff member, Kylie Bridgeman is excited to work as a sports writer. Bridgeman’s goal is to tell the stories of athletes...

Photo of Catherine Frost
Catherine Frost, Remembrancer Staff

In her second year as a Remembrancer staff member, Catherine Frost is excited to work as the Managing Editor of Visual Elements.  This year, Frost would...

The Chatterbox • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$3350
$4500