David Whittaker

Students sit, listen and participate in a Meet the Candidate event organized by the Student Democratic Club. This club has organized these events in order to bridge the gap between students and their candidates in Ohio’s tight races.

The Chatterbox Profiles the November Election

October 23, 2018

The Race for Governor

Courtesy Richard Cordray/ Wikimedia Commons

Richard Cordray is the Democratic Party’s nominee for Ohio Governor. He was the first Director of the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau from 2012 to 2017. He also served as Ohio Attorney General from 2009 to 2011.

Rich Cordray

Richard Cordray, a Democrat and Columbus native, is a candidate for Ohio’s governor in this year’s election.
Cordray is a strong proponent for reducing gun violence in Ohio’s communities. “We should close all loopholes to safeguard Ohioans against the potential for gun violence by high-risk individuals,” Cordray said.
Considering many students move directly into America’s workforce after high school, Cordray firmly believes in workplace development for all citizens. “We will fully embrace the new Office and bolster its efforts to link Ohioans with opportunities for training and jobs, as well as providing appropriate recognition and credit for training and education obtained elsewhere around the world,” Cordray said.
Cordray’s desire to ensure fairness drives his campaign toward making sure Ohio’s government will listen and support Ohioans.

Courtesy Ohio Attorney General’s Office/ Wikimedia Commons
Mike DeWine is the Republican Party nominee for Governor, and is Ohio’s current Attorney General. DeWine served as one of Ohio’s two senators from 1994 to 2008.

Mike DeWine

Mike DeWine, a Republican from Springfield, Ohio, is a candidate for Ohio’s governor in this year’s election.
Regarding education, DeWine said, “Every Ohioan deserves a shot at the American Dream, and that begins with a great education.” DeWine proposes that standardized testing should be reduced, career and technical education should be increased and grant predictability and guaranteed tuition rates for each class should be implemented.
With more citizens entering the American workforce, DeWine seeks to “establish regional job-training partnerships throughout Ohio with local businesses, education providers and community leaders to give people the skills they need to compete and win in the 21st century.”
DeWine’s emphasis on jobs and his “Ohio Prosperity Plan” aims to provide residents with job-training partnerships and eliminated regulations to bring more opportunities to hardworking Ohioans.

The Race for Ohio’s 1st District

Steve Chabot has served as the 1st Districts representative since 1995. He was unseated in 2009 for one tern by Steve Driehaus.

Courtesy United States Congress/ Wikimedia Commons

Steve Chabot has served as the 1st District’s representative since 1995. He was unseated in 2009 for one tern by Steve Driehaus.

Steve Chabot

Republican Steve Chabot is a candidate for U.S. Congress in Ohio’s 1st District. Chabot, a former teacher, discusses the need for education reform, and seeks to devote “our education resources [which] can be focused on helping children get the support they need, instead of being consumed complying with costly mandates from Washington.”
Chabot believes that Ohio should do its part to aid in achieving the goal of energy independence in America. “In order to move to true energy independence, we must explore the many available domestic energy resources in an environmentally-friendly manner.”
In addition, Chabot says he is “a strong supporter of legislation and funding efforts that ensure veterans have access to medical care, education and financial services.”
If re-elected, Chabot wants to continue to make sure that home feels like home.

Courtesy Aftab for Ohio/Wikimedia Commons
Aftab Pureval is the Democratic Party’s nominee for Ohio’s 1st district. He is currently the Hamilton County Clerk of Courts, elected in 2016.

Aftab Pureval

Hailing from Xenia, Ohio, Aftab Pureval is a Democratic candidate for U.S. Congress in Ohio’s 1st District.
Pureval is a strong advocate for student aid and support, whether they attend a post secondary school or not, pushing “…for loan forgiveness programs, lower interest rates for government loans, and increased funding for Pell Grants and other aid programs.”
Pureval also seeks to promote and ensure equality among all genders and ethnicities, saying that “…all Ohioans should be given the same rights and treated the same way no matter who they are or whom they love.” Pureval promotes the concept of “equal pay for equal work,” believing that too often people are paid less because of who they are.
Improving health care is a focal point of Pureval’s campaign, and he aims to change health care policy to support all Ohioans.

The Chatterbox • Copyright 2024 • FLEX WordPress Theme by SNOLog in

$3350
$4500